The Police Authority has a statutory duty to set a precept before the 28 February in respect of the following financial year.
In setting its budget the Police Authority takes into account a number of considerations which are evaluated in the light of the all important duty of the Authority to 'secure the maintenance of an efficient and effective Police Force'.
Further information on the 2012/13 Budget:
In reaching its judgement on the budget the Police Authority takes into consideration:
- Objectives, guidance and performance targets issued by the Home Secretary
- The Authority's own objectives and targets for West Mercia
- Statutory guidance on the duty to deliver Best Value.
- The outcome of consultation arrangements made to seek the views of the local community on the police service and community safety
- The advice of the Chief Constable
- The policy of the Government and public spending, the level of Police Authority increases in budget requirement, Council Tax precept increases and the use of the reserve powers it has to cap budgets
- The estimate financial obligations falling upon the Authority in the immediate future and into the medium term